Thursday, July 18, 2013

Stepping Down from City Council

My goal when I ran for council 6 years ago was to help make Grande Prairie a better place to live.  At the time, the city had undergone record growth which strained resources and created unprecedented demands on infrastructure.  An overwhelming cry for change came from the public.  Many candidates ran on that platform.  I ran with the hope of utilizing my experience to improve the community that I grew up in.

I have to admit that I didn’t follow politics very well prior to announcing my candidacy.  There were many hours of research that helped me get a handle on the issues.  Being an active volunteer in the community helped me stay in touch with concerns, but I originally ran hoping that people would elect me for my skills rather than my knowledge of the issues.  I would use my business experience to help the City make logical decisions, my volunteer sector experience to turn ideas into action, and use my education to present alternative solutions.

That being said, there were issues that I wanted to help with.  Grande Prairie’s tax issues stemmed from an imbalanced tax base.  Council would need to strategically increase the industrial and commercial tax base, but still ensure that we’re building a city that is attractive and welcoming for people to live in.  Enhanced facilities were needed to attract and retain much needed professionals and trades workers and to improve the quality of everyone’s life in Grande Prairie.   We needed to collaborate with partners in the region to leverage our resources.  Finally, the City needed to ensure that the community was being engaged and involved in the decision making process.  I believe that council has made great progress towards those goals.

My decision to step down from council was not an easy one.  I’ve enjoyed having the opportunity to serve my community and have enjoyed helping people where I can.  At this time in my life, I can no longer afford the time commitment that’s required from being on council.  The commitment is more than most people recognize and it can affect your ability to advance in a career.  The experience has been invaluable and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  My decision is made easier by knowing that the City is headed in the right direction.  It’s also made easier knowing that there are good men and women out there to continue the good work.


As a final note, I want to send a message out to the public.  Please take an interest in the local government and in the next election.  Issues can be complex so I believe our city needs people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives to offer a balanced cross-section of views.  I want commend those who have served on council and those who have put their names forward to be considered on the ballot.  I’d also like to encourage anyone who has the ability to take a run at sitting on City Council—especially those with the skills to be effective leaders.  City Council is needed to provide community direction, help turn ideas into action and be the face of the City in various situations.  It’s a fulfilling experience that I will always cherish.  For those people who stood by me, I am grateful for your support throughout the years and hope that I made you proud.

No comments: