Sunday, September 15, 2013

2013 Municipal Election

As we head into election season, I feel a slight relief that I won't have to spend my fall running a campaign. I've really enjoyed my two terms on council and would encourage others to throw their names in the hat and take an opportunity to shape the city they live in.

The official nomination day is September 23rd and 15 candidates have already announced their intentions to run for city councillor while 2 candidates are running in the mayor's race.  Election signs are allowed to be posted from September 9th until October 28th.  For those who haven't been following as closely as I have, the candidates listed in alphabetic order are:

MAYORAL CANDIDATES:
Gladys Blackmore
Bill Given – incumbent
COUNCIL CANDIDATES:
Jeff Campbell
Jackie Clayton
John Croken – incumbent
Jared Gossen
Dwight Logan
Miriam Mahnic
Kim McDougall
Kevin McLean – incumbent
Justin Munroe – incumbent
Kevin O’Toole – incumbent
Lorne Radbourne – incumbent
Helen Rice – incumbent
Erin Steidel
Rory Tarant
Chris Thiessen

I have agreed to be one of the election night analysts/commentators on the evening of the election.  This means I'll have to note details on all the candidates as well as keep an ear to the ground to get a sense of what the general public is hearing.  It should be a fun job and I hope that we get a strong turn out for the election on October 21st.

No comments: